Information for Teachers and Parents
Half Price Saturdays
Glasnevin Cemetery Museum offers all teachers half price admission on Saturdays. Normal price for museum admission and tour is €13.50 but with this special offer you can take the guided tour and visit the museum for just €6.75. Please note: You will be asked to show proof of occupation when arriving at the museum. Examples of identification accepted are a Teachers' Union ID card and Teaching Council Cards. Trainee teachers can produce a student card referencing a course in Education. Visit us any Saturday.
If you would like more information on the education programmes available at Glasnevin Cemetery Museum, please contact the Education Department in our museum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents of home educated children can speak to our team about organising a visit for a booked group.
Glasnevin Cemetery Museum is located on the Finglas Road, Dublin 11, approximately 3km from the City Centre. Pedestrian access is also available through the original Prospect Square gate.
Public Transport Routes
Dublin Bus from Dublin City Centre
Bus Route: 140 - Departs from O' Connell Street
Bus Route: 40 - Departs from O' Connell Street
Glasnevin Cemetery is adjacent to the National Botanic Gardens which are serviced by routes 4, 9 and 83. Visitors coming from the National Botanic Gardens must do so via Prospect Road and continue onto the Finglas Road or enter by foot via Prospect Square.
By Car or Train
Glasnevin Cemetery is situated on the Finglas Road/N2 and is close to M1, M50 and Dublin Airport as well as Connolly and Heuston Train Stations.
Car & Free Coach Parking
There are on site-parking facilities for approx 200 vehicles and up to 6 coaches. In addition, there are also a number of on-street parking spaces. Groups arriving by coach may access free parking.
Code of Conduct & Guidlines for Safety
Glasnevin Cemetery is a working cemetery, with funerals and cremations taking place on a daily basis. We ask that all visitors respect this during their visit, particularly during the mornings. The safety of our visitors is of primary consideration and all teachers/group leaders should be aware of the following:
• The recommended teacher to pupil ratio is 1 to 10
• Students should be made aware of the behaviour expected of them prior to the visit ensuring that the visit is both safe and enjoyable, not just for the students but also for other visitors to the museum and cemetery.
• Students must be supervised at all times by a teacher when in the museum and in the cemetery. All teachers must be clearly identifiable.
• The cemetery tour involves an outdoor walk in the cemetery grounds. We ask that all children are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing and footwear particularly if the weather is likely to be inclement. For the safety and security of your group please ensure pupils keep to the paths at all times.
• Disruptive behaviour of any kind will not be tolerated. Should a problem arise, it will be initially addressed by the tour guide. If the problem continues, the teacher in charge will be requested to deal with the situation. Persistent disruptive behaviour will result in the termination of the tour.
• The consumption of food, drink and chewing gum is not permitted in the museum's exhibition galleries or while pupils are out on tour.
• While on the cemetery tour it is essential that teachers and students remain with the tour guide at all times and comply with the safety instructions as set out by the guide.
• As the guided tour operates within a working cemetery the tour route may be subject to change.
Museum Opening Times:
Monday - Friday - 10:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday - 10:00am - 5:00pm
The Tower Café - Daily - 9:30am - 5:00pm
How to book:
The best and quickest way to get your place booked in:
When you get to the ticket page, you will see a selection of the different tickets we offer. Simply select the appropriate ticket from this selection and complete the booking process.
We offer special concession rates for service users. Accompanying carers receive complimentary admission. Please contact 01 882 6550 for further details.
For booking enquiries (groups of 11 or more):
Discuss your group booking with our Bookings Coordinator:
+353 1 882 6570